If you want to grow in your accounting career in 2021, you must be proactive in putting in the work to set and work toward thoughtful, impactful goals. Otherwise, it’s all too easy to get distracted by your day-to-day work and find yourself in the exact same spot at the end of the year as to where you started. Check out these tips to take your accounting career to the next level in 2021 with SMART goals:
Break Down Your Goals into the SMART Framework:
- Specific – Clarify exactly what you want to achieve and define clear, tangible results that should be the outcome
- Measurable – Determine how you will track your progress and what data you will use
- Achievable – Ensure your goal is reasonable with your current skills and/or resources
- Realistic – Assess whether the goal is something you could plausibly achieve, in terms of your own schedule and motivation levels
- Time-Bound – Set a deadline for when you want to have accomplished your goal
Plan Out Your Strategy
When in doubt while establishing SMART goals, work backward from the ultimate outcome you want to achieve and define the previous steps. This will help you plan out your strategy for taking action on your SMART goals on top of your other day-to-day responsibilities. For example, if your goal is to earn a new accounting certification by the end of the year, work backward and write out the steps that lead to that, such as passing the exam, scheduling the exam, finding an organization who gives out the certification, studying, finding a study guide, etc.
Schedule the Time
Once you have your SMART goals clearly defined and have a strategy in place, it’s time to get down into the finer details and actually fit in the time to pursue them. Schedule the time for working on your SMART goals into your calendar on a regular basis. Whether it’s a small but consistent amount of time each day or one dedicated day a week, as long as you are regularly taking action, you will make much more progress than waiting until you have a huge chunk of uninterrupted time and high level of motivation.
We Can Help You Reach Your Goals
You’re more likely to achieve your career goals with outside support. Partner with PrideStaff San Jose for your accounting job search needs. As a leading staffing firm in the San Jose area, we work with top area employers to fill their unlisted job leads and can help you find the best opportunities for you. Search our available jobs today to get started.